Author Topic: Any fans of the original 1977 Atari VCS?  (Read 902 times)

Kosmic Stardust

• Fan of the old VCS
    • View Profile
Any fans of the original 1977 Atari VCS?
« on: June 25, 2018, 12:03:25 am »
I collect a lot of old school games and was a big fan of the old Atari with it's blocky graphics and screeching sound. The games don't look like much but they're surprisingly addictive. I've got a lot of old Atari carts including 3rd party like Activision and modern homebrew. Surprisingly the old rf cable still works on my modern tcl 4k tv, but looks better played on an old tube.

Will there be a way to play them on the new VCS? Possibly through a downloads store or something? I hope so. I also preordered a VCS joystick because I like the sleek design. I hope there's a lot of games coming out that utilize it.  ;D

FallenElmaik

• View Profile
Re: Any fans of the original 1977 Atari VCS?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 09:43:07 pm »
Yeah, you can get them in the Atari Vault

M

• View Profile
Re: Any fans of the original 1977 Atari VCS?
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 01:13:13 am »
The downside to the vault is it misses the killer-apps that made the VCS great - Space Invaders, Joust, Activision titles, Ms Pac Man (which was on the top 10 lists for more than a year).

Fortunately there's Stella and Retroarch so that's not a prime-concern. Retroarch even has a customizable UI so you can make it look as good as the NESc or whatever interface Atari is looking to implement on their partition.

One 2600 homebrew you must check out is the Donkey Kong clone - with all levels and cut-scenes. It's not only the most amazing homebrew I've ever seen - it's actually pretty addictive.