Author Topic: Legions Of The Undead  (Read 887 times)

JasonDamisch

• View Profile
Legions Of The Undead
« on: July 10, 2018, 03:18:33 am »
Atari Fans,

Rebellion, the company that did Aliens Vs Predator had something called Legions of the Undead.

http://www.ataritimes.com/images/jaguar/legions4.jpg
http://www.ataritimes.com/images/jaguar/legions5.jpg

When I saw the pics in the magazine many years ago, I wanted to have this game. 

Honestly, I don't know exactly what it would have been like if it was finished but
back then I was honestly impressed.

Thoughts?

Jason

JasonDamisch

• View Profile
Re: Legions Of The Undead
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 03:25:36 am »
I found this scanned image of the magazine article I was thinking about.

http://gameon.freeforums.net/thread/119/legions-undead-atari-jaguar

You can read it if you want.

Jason

JasonDamisch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 03:56:51 am »
I can't kid myself though.  I mean what I would think of would probably be very different than what others would think of.   What my idea of a great RPG would be could vary vastly from what Rebellion would have thought of.  So, maybe I was reading something into those old magazine articles different than what was actually there.

It reminds me of what a friend of mine said that she was a little disappointed when she saw the Davin Lynch version of Dune because she had first read the book long before the movie came out, and what she imagined differed so much from what the movie showed.

Honestly, I have written maybe 3 games in my entire life, all simple 2-D games.  I could dive into game development, but the more detailed you get, the more time it takes.  Modern game are written by large teams of people except for those indie games.

I really liked those very early RPGs like Hack, Larn, Moria, etc.  What I liked about them the most is that they were so random, and even chaotic.  Chaotic Evil is an alignment that you can fun by.   The best example that I can think of in film of a truly Chaotic Evil character is the Heath Ledger Joker.   Those games randomly generated their dungeon layouts.  I truly have not seen after those early RPGs any games that randomly generated their dungeons like that, the layout, the content of the rooms, the treasure locations, the weapons you can find, and so on and so on.  I have played games that claimed to be random like that but I have not found anything like that.   For example  Evolution, the World of Sacred Device claimed to be a random dungeon crawler but no.  I ended up playing it once through and even though I enjoyed it I did not return to it.  Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter was closer, but the layout was still set in stone.  It would sometimes throw you a curve ball.  Darn was that game tough.

The closest that I have found is the indie game called  Enter the Gungeon.  It does have random layouts and it is as tough as donkey hide.  I'm not kidding you.  I'll probably never beat it.  Its pretty random though.  I realize that there are others in the genre but I have not played all of them. 

GolostenovNN

• View Profile
Legions Of The Undead
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 09:49:30 am »
I hear ya, I sometimes wonder if those second hand store/goodwill mint finds for 5.99 arent just BS stories myself.Im 53 and have been into those types of stores wince I was a kid. Never such luck. Oh and yea,  Im not looking for Japanese text so thanks for that.  I didnt realize they werent in English.I didnt realize we had a few more deals to be had in Canada. Thats usually not the case with most things.Nice to hear though.

JasonDamisch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 06:28:57 pm »
Hi Everybody,

Several years ago I had some fun with this

http://egoboo.sourceforge.net/

But have not installed it in awhile.  It seems to be one of those games that the developers work on and then walk away from and then come back to and then leave again.

I might reinstall it sometime.

Hint:  I'd like to see something like this for any new console I get

Jason

JasonDamisch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 06:42:14 pm »
I wonder what a Grue looks like.