Author Topic: What we know about the current hardware  (Read 1168 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
What we know about the current hardware
« on: June 24, 2018, 04:57:50 pm »

« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 06:57:44 pm by admin »

marss

• View Profile
Re: What we know about the current hardware
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 05:16:09 pm »
Let's hope Atari will pay attention to the backers who wish a much more powerful machine (more Ram and a better APU)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 05:20:04 pm »
More ram is technically not needed 4GB should be enough after all this is not a windows pc linux is pretty light on requirements but the AMD APU will use some of the available ram

I would like a more powerful APU though even if its one the the lower end RYZEN/VEGA ones

Kosmic Stardust

• Fan of the old VCS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 06:54:24 am »
Is 35w heat dissipation sufficient cooling abilities for the small case? I hope there are vents underneath the ridges to allow for adequate airflow. We don't want cases melting (or cpus throttling or going to thermal shutdown due to excess heat) when someone runs a graphics intensive game on it.

Lodmot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 06:45:13 pm »
I think they should up the APU as well. We don't want another underpowered console like the Ouya was. It sounds like Atari is looking into getting a better APU for the VCS.

By the way, I find it funny how Atari was bashed for not having an APU locked down on the Register, but it's because we're asking them for a newer APU, so they're listening to the community. But it's accidentally causing them to get backlash. o 3 o

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 08:14:24 pm »
Not just that but the APU is a standard mass produced SKU just like the CPU in your computer or laptop and can be swapped at any time now or in the future right up until the specifications are set in stone and ready for mass production.

The APU will be direct soldered though so cannot be changed by the end user without expensive BGA rework equipment