Poll

Are you buying the Atari VCS ?

Already pledged on indiegogo
Undecieded
If more solid information is released
When its on store shelves
No

Author Topic: Are you buying the Atari VCS ?  (Read 1143 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Are you buying the Atari VCS ?
« on: June 24, 2018, 05:11:10 pm »
Who's buying or planning on buying

JasonDamisch

• View Profile
Re: Are you buying the Atari VCS ?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 04:02:06 am »
I might buy it but not as a first adopter.  The problem is, is that I've got so many other fires in the iron that it would detract from other things that I'm trying to do.  But, if I get a 4K TV I might have to get something to stream with so I'd think that I'd need something to do that which has at least 4GB of RAM and a somewhat fast CPU.

Dude I used to LUV Atari.   :)

Jason

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 04:09:04 am »
I don't know what will be on offer on the media side I know it states Netflix but I have to wonder there is currently no Netflix Linux app and none in the works afaik so unless it's in the browser I can't see how Netflix will work Plex etc on the other hand would work beautifully under the native Linux app

JasonDamisch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 04:29:10 am »
When I first saw the news about the VCS, I immediately thought about my old Roku.  I had one and I remember that it only had 1 GB.  I thought that it was pretty good at the time but even then I thought to myself that this was a first generation attempt at this kind of thing, and that it really needed to be a lot better. 

If the VCS comes out of the box being a great video streamer then it will greatly help IMO.

Jason
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 04:50:12 am by JasonDamisch »

JasonDamisch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 04:44:24 am »
Thinking back about the Roku, I remember that you could install different channels onto it, so if there was a company that offered video streaming of films or documentaries or something like that, then you could install their app and then watch those specific shows.  There were even off brand lousy apps from lousy companies that would just show some really old TV shows and they did not format the video lifted from those old TV shows correctly so they didn't look good on larger screens but there you go.

https://channelstore.roku.com/browse

Does Roku even support IPV6 ?

Jason

JasonDamisch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 04:45:45 am »
The bad thing about Roku was when the video chokes, or stalls, or bugs out and the app closes.  You know your watching TV on a little computer.

LOL